Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Bond of Friendship

Today has been a GREAT day as we began today with Stephanie, Josh and Alyse. We enjoyed a meal at Five Guys and then Sharron, Alyse and I departed home for Raleigh.

We made our way to the Bethel Wesleyan Church in Kannapolis NC to join friends in a surprise party to celebrate the 40th wedding anniversary of Rev. Steve and Beth Dagenhart. My minds flooded with memories from many years ago as I viewed the scrapbooks with the Polaroid pictures of Sharron and I before our daughters were born. As I said goodbye to Steve, he paused and shared with me a golden nugget: "A true test of friendship is when people have been separated by many years, but get together and after only 15 minutes it seems no time has passed. The bond of friendship is still there." WOW - a powerful thought! It was great to visit with Joyce Ford and sit down to a conversation with Rev. Forbis and Raynita Kivett.

We travel toward Raleigh and contacted our friends Phil and Joanie Richards. It was awesome to stop at their home for a great southern meal and visit with several friends there. Our travels of being with family in Canada - rushing back to Charlotte to be with Stephanie - visiting old and more recent friends on the way home - brought a sense of awe to Sharron and I as we reflected upon the goodness of God in our lives.

Tomorrow I mark two years as serving as Lead Pastor of North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene in Raleigh, N.C. To celebrate this occasion I am doing something I rarely do. I am preaching once again the first sermon I preached at NRN. The sermon is titled "How Much You Mean To God." and Sharron has encouraged me to share this for all the people who are new to the church and have not heard this message. The sermon is ready - now I am preparing myself to be a vessel of God tomorrow.

Here is what I am singing in my worship preparation. May it bless you.










I can hardly wait to be at church tomorrow! I look forward to a day of celebration and pray for life transformation to take place!

No comments: