Tuesday, June 26, 2007

ASKING - SEEKING - KNOCKING


We are enjoying our time with family in Charlotte, NC ( actually Indian Trail, NC) My daughter Stephanie is really helping me with my blog. She will be pleased that I did not "steal" anything from her blog page. She told me that I needed a new picture for my resume. As she said it " Dad, one that looks like you now!" Thus - my new picture - taken today by Stephanie. Thanks Stephanie...

As Sharron and I joined our family and attended Elevation Church on Sunday we enjoyed the wonderful worship and the message from Pastor Steven Furtick. (Click on Elevation Church and you can hear the message for yourself.) On the way home from church Sharron and I discussed what the message meant to us. We always ask for the practical application of what we receive from church each Sunday.

Sharron spoke from her heart that God had given her a peace that it was time for her to not worry or be afraid, but to pray with confidence and ask God where we are to minister in the days ahead, seek God with assurance that we will know God’s will and especially, begin to knock on the door we feel God’s direction toward. Sharron’s fear was based on the idea that she did not have the right to ask God for specifics about our employment or where we should live. She has great confidence that God has a plan and purpose for us and will take care of us. She firmly believes that God has not abandoned us but will meet our needs in according to His will. Today, God gave Sharron a new confidence and peace within her heart. This peace came from the passage of scripture below:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 NIV

We do not believe that God is a vending machine that we simply ask and God, without care or concern gives us anything and everything we ask for. We also do not believe that we should never ask God because the Bible is clear that God is concerned for us and wants us to seek Him and ask of Him in accordance to His will.

On Sunday afternoon we enjoyed a time away with our close friend Joyce Ford doing two things we love. Walking through a store at the mall and then going to the Cheesecake Factory Restaurant for a great meal and time of conversation. As we arrived at the store my cell phone rang. The call brought tears to my eyes and great anticipation to my heart. It was from the secretary of a church board at a great church in North Carolina. The leadership board had discussed my resume and have invited Sharron and I to interview with them this coming Saturday. I admit, I had difficulty going to sleep on Sunday evening as I tried to settle my heart filled with praise and anticipation. Each passing moment since that time, has been filled with prayers about this possible opportunity. As Sharron and I prayed Sunday evening she shared with me again about the impact of the Matthew 7 passage that God laid upon her heart.

Sharron and I both, have come to the assurance of heart that God is pleased with our decision in trying to relocate near North Carolina. Early in our ministry together we committed to each other that we would hold simple priorities in our life. When are began our marriage we decided that our priorities would be as follows:




  1. God first


  2. Family second


  3. Church / Ministry third


These priorities have never been more challenged than this time in our life. We are crying our to God to help us delight in Him that He might give to us the desires of our heart. As we delight in Him, we believe God places the right desires in our heart.

The desire to serve God in ministry and be near to our family is paramount in life right now.

8 comments:

Because of Love said...

Are you jealous that Mom says she likes my blog better than yours? Haha! Love, me

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new outlet for learning more useless info. I had no idea there was a free encyclopedia. You might be sorry that I know about this. My brain has a lot more room for for more random facts! Glad you're in town for a while. Maybe this is God telling you that you need to move here!!!


Amy F.

Christine said...

Boyfriend Rick!!

THat is my FAVORITE bible passage!!!! It is SO true. We are in Sherwood, Ohio with our house up for sale. And I'm just waiting for the door to be opened to us. We have a house waiting for us. I'll pray for you if you pray for me?? Hee HEe!! Just kidding I'll pray for you till i'm blue in the face!!!

Christine said...

I just started in blog!! I'm so exicited!!! christinerohrs.blogspot.com

Check it out boyfriend

Anonymous said...

Rick,I am looking forward to meeting you and your wife this Saturday. I really feel that God is directing you and has many great things in store for you and your family. Dave J

Anonymous said...

God bless you Rick. I know He has great plans for you in coming days. I like your new picture!

Anonymous said...

This great, new picture reminds me...I knew you when...(use your imagination and fill in the blank).
Right now you are either laughing hysterically or crying uncontrollably...which is it?

Debbie Rutler said...

Dear Pastor Rick and Sharron,
I did not read this portion of the blog till after I posted my last comment. Obviously great minds think alike since you quoted the same verse I gave to you in my previous comments this evening.

Deb