Saturday, December 8, 2007

Born as a baby - Returning as our King

Sorry for the long delay in my posting. Living life in the fast lane means we have to take time to set priorities and manage our time and calendar well. I have attempted to do this and placed the blogging lower on my list during this Advent season. Now, for the updates:

Sharron and I are truly enjoying our first Advent season in North Carolina since 1980. On that Christmas in Charlotte our daughters Danielle and Stephanie were less than 2 months old. We were renting our first house and even though we had very limited resources we were very happy. Each Christmas a symbol of remembrance is on our family Christmas tree. Here's the story: Sharron and I were able to drive to the mountains of NC and go onto the property of a friend and cut our Christmas tree. We could only afford two strings of lights and spent and evening stringing popcorn for the tress decorations. When Sharron and I thought about what should go on the top of the tree - I took two pieces of cardboard and fashioned a star which I covered in aluminum foil. That star is still atop our family tree each year.


Today God has blessed us with two beautiful daughters, a great son-in-law and the most beautiful grand daughter I know! We are active in pastoral ministry celebrating over 30 years of serving the Lord in full time ministry. God has lead us to a great church and wonderful people to pastor. We have blessed with a wonderful house which Sharron has converted into a home filled with love. My heart is overflowing with gratitude for the blessings of God, the love of my wife, and the aluminum covered card board star on top of our family Christmas tree!


I have an issue that I find alarming that I feel I must comment on. This weekend was the opening of a new movie - The Golden Compass. Though this movie is portrayed as a "children';s movie" and a movie for the "entire family" I am personally disturbed about the theme and content of this movie and sequels planned. On the FOX NEWS website it described the picture as follow: A children’s fantasy film that stars Nicole Kidman and features a little girl on a quest to kill God has some Christian groups upset over what they believe is a ploy to promote atheism to kids. I have not seen the movie and have no intentions of viewing the film and I hesitate to criticize something with such limited exposure. But I strongly encourage parents to investigate the story and message exposed to your children. Once again, I was personally disturbed when I read a comment on the ABC NEWS website from a parent who stated: Why a religious group would tell me or my kids what's good or not to watch, why I as an adult have to monitor religious ideologies to my kids, I have no right to impose any religion to my kids, they don't know what it is! how a Fantasy tale would ever influence them on how they will think latter on about religion. If they wish to add to a religion, latter on, they will. I don't see why all this buzz, some religions are scared to lost members and money to their pockets. Religious groups are not supposed to interfere with the FREE WILL of people. So if you don't like the movie, turn away, don't watch it, but why try to prevent other to watch a fine fantasy movie? To investigate this movie yourself I recommend the following links: Crosswalk and Especially this article for pastors .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An excerpt from my personal devotion reading today from A Classic Nativity Devotional, by James Stuart Bell (Adapted from the writings of Cyril of Jerusalem (315-386) :
The prophet Malachi speaks of the two comings. And the Lord whom you seek will come suddenly to his temple: that is one coming. Again he says of another coming: Look, the Lord almighty will come, and who will endure the day of his entry, or who will stand in his sight? Because he comes like a refiner's fire, a fuller's herb, and he will sit refining and cleansing.

These two comings are also referred to by Paul in writing to Titus: The grace of God the Savior has appeared to all men, instructing us to put aside impiety and worldly desires and live temperately, uprightly, and religiously in this present age, waiting for the joyful hope, the appearance of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Notice how he speaks of a first coming for which he gives thanks, and a second, the one we still await.

That is why the faith we profess has been handed on to you in these words: He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

Our Lord Jesus Christ will therefore come from heaven. He will come at the end of the world, in glory, at the last day. For there will be an end to this world, and the created world will be made new.

The birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem was an epic moment in the formation of the Christian faith, but we must always remember that he will one day return from heaven, not as a baby so humbly born in a manger but as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
These my friends are truly trustworthy sayings. Rick

No comments: