Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year Resolutions

The year 2007 has come to a close and we welcome 2008 to be GREAT! The parties and the holiday get togethers have ended.


Last Sunday I spoke at North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene about A Worthy New Year’s Resolution.


My text for this message reads as follows: “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.”
Philippians 3:12-16 NIV

You can hear this message by clicking HERE



Sharron and I ushered in the New Year at the home of our daughter Stephanie and son in law Josh. As the midnight hour approached Josh and Steph returned home from a date night to pour 4 glasses of sparkling grape juice as we toasted in the New Year. We celebrated the first day of 2008 with family time.



As you think about the first days of 2008 you may be making some resolutions. I recently found a list for very meaningful things to be resolved about in 2008. These resolutions were penned by Jonathan Edwards. The list began as the year 1722 was coming to a close and continued for the next nine months. You can read these resolutions HERE



These resolutions begin with the words: BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD' S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST' S SAKE.



I believe these are trustworthy sayings!



Have YOU made any resolutions for the new year? Let me know you stopped by - take a moment to comment. Each comment encourages me to continue to update this blog! Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pastor Rick, I am not much of a "blogger" but I have been enjoying your entries - it helps me to get to know you better as our lead Pastor.

Regarding the resolutions of J. Edwards... Although not as formal as Edwards, I too have my list of resolutions over the last few years to which I have periodically add one as God impresses on me to do so. Unlike Edwards, my list is less than a dozen vs his 70.

And unlike Edwards, it has only been seen by God and me... however, since one deals with pride, perhaps someday God will direct me to publish mine.

Interestingly, Edwards was at a young age of 19 years old when he wrote these. Later in life his writings focused more on Deut 10:12,13 and Rev 3:15-16... closer to the great commandment as a resolution vs 70 "rules".

I expect he learned at an early age many of us hide under the great commandment and excuse the fact the "devil is in the details". Therefore the necessity for his list of resolutions.

Although only conjecture on my part, I expect his list grew with resolutions 22-70 similar to mine - through failure and then God's loving but firm correction.

I am sure my list will continue to grow - I pray it does grow... consistent with your message based upon Phil 3:12-16