Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Footprints in the sand

As I prepare for Sunday at NRN the Lord has brought to mind a poem I have often used in the past. You probably know it. The traditional footprints in the sand:



One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.


Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.


In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.


Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,


other times there were one set of footprints.




This bothered me because I noticed


that during the low periods of my life,


when I was suffering from


anguish, sorrow or defeat,


I could see only one set of footprints.





So I said to the Lord,


"You promised me Lord,


that if I followed you,


you would walk with me always.


But I have noticed that during


the most trying periods of my life


there have only been one


set of footprints in the sand.


Why, when I needed you most,


you have not been there for me?"





The Lord replied,


"The times when you have


seen only one set of footprints in the sand,


is when I carried you."




Mary Stevenson


Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson, from original 1936 text, All rights reserved






Recently I heard a version of footprints that really made me think.


It is by Leona Lewis in her debut album Spirit. Enjoy!











I hope you are blessed by this beautiful song.
It ministered to my soul.


I find the words are truly trustworthy sayings....

No comments: