Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lenten Devotional - He Came and Found Them Sleeping

Jesus came and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, "Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep awake one hour? Keep awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." And again he went away and prayed, saying the same words. And once more he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy; and they did not know what to say to him. He came a third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Enough! The hour has come." (Mark 14:37-41)
Near Gethsemane there is a cave where some believe the disciples were told to wait while Jesus went into the olive grove to pray late that night. Perhaps he did not want them to see him in his greatest distress. But before going into the garden, Jesus asked his three closest companions, Peter, James, and John, to go with him. He revealed to the three of them just how deeply grieved he was. He asked them to "stay awake with me" (Matthew 26:38) and then asked them to remain in the garden as he went just a little farther to pray by himself. Jesus fell to the ground to pray; but then, after a period of time, he went back to Peter, James, and John. He repeated this pattern—praying alone and then returning to the disciples—three times before Judas arrived with the Temple guard to arrest him. Some have suggested a parallel between these three occasions and the three temptations Jesus experienced at the beginning of his ministry.



The fact that the disciples had fallen asleep each time points to their own temptation and, more importantly, to the temptation of his followers ever since to sleep when Christ most needs us. At times as a pastor I have been "asleep on the job." On the day I was writing this devotion, a member of my church died, someone about whom I truly cared. I knew that he was ill. I had spoken with his wife earlier in the year. I pastor a very large church with a team of pastors and laypeople who provide care for our members, and he was cared for by others in that group. However, when I received notice about his death, I was stunned and grieved. I called his wife to convey my condolences. But I felt such sadness that I had missed the chance to be with him in the days leading up to his death. I had been asleep on the job. In the New Testament, "being awake" is a phrase used to describe being spiritually ready, most often for the return of Christ, but also ready to do what the Lord needs whenever he needs us. It entails a watchfulness and a way of paying attention to what is happening around us, to the needs of others, and to the direction of the Holy Spirit. We are meant to stay awake and keep watch.

Have you ever, like me, and like those first disciples, fallen asleep when Christ truly needed you? Lord, many times my spirit has been willing to do your will; but my flesh has been weak. Help me to stay awake—to listen for your voice and to be used by you to care for your people. Amen.

Excerpted from: 24 Hours That Changed the World Daily Devotions by Adam Hamilton

No comments: