Friday, February 5, 2016

Preparing for FOOTBALL SUNDAY at NRN - Broncos' Anthony Lomando


We are preparing for an awesome day at North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene as  we  experience  FOOTBALL SUNDAY on  Sunday February 7, 2106.  





We will hear testimonies of players from the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos that you have never heard before.  Plan now to join us at 10:45am this Sunday 

Here is a preview as we read the testimony of Broncos' Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach - Anthony Lomando: 

As the Broncos’ Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for the past four years, my job is all about the players. I am blessed to be able to go to work every day and help guys feel better and excel in the game that they love. My job is to train them to be in the best state of mind and best physical state that they can be. 


It’s a stressful job that the players have in the NFL; they have to go on the field and perform at the highest level, both for their families and for their futures. It means a lot to me to have the chance to help them achieve that. I do everything that I can do to help the player’s progress in the talents that God’s given them.


Working with NFL athletes gives me the unique opportunity to connect with guys from all different backgrounds. It really is an amazing thing, especially with the team that we have this year, to have everyone with such different personalities come together for a common goal. Their goal is always to win the championship but it also is to be great teammates to each other. In my position, I really see the highs of the highs and the lows of the lows that these guys go through. Undergoing a lot of pressure from media, fans, and competition, their ability to maintain such a great camaraderie is amazing.


This last year has been a big year for me. I was at a point in life where I was constantly looking for what was next. When you live life with the constant question in your mind of, “What’s next for me?” you continually come up empty. I finally realized that I need to play for an audience of One—Jesus Christ. 

Being around Luther Elliss, the Broncos chaplain, made me realize that I had been only putting one foot in. I had always struggled with a lot of questions that I had for God. This summer I finally had a this-is-it-moment. I knew then that I needed to take a leap of faith and fully trust in God.


“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.” -                                                                                         Proverbs 3:5-6


I always found myself striving in life, no matter what I was that I was doing, I had to go harder, faster, stronger. I was so focused on the flesh. But God’s Word says that in Christ we are all whole, perfect, and complete…period. In the moment when I finally realized this truth I was able to let go of all that I had tried to place my hope in previously—to look a certain way, be a certain way, and perform at a certain level. Having surrendered all the things of the flesh, I now am living in the Word and completely set free from all of the sin that entangled me. Jesus Christ loves me, that’s all that matters.


This realization has made an unbelievable difference in my life. Sometimes you end up in places in your life and you don’t know why you are where you are nor do you realize the talents and gifts that you’ve been given but in the last six months my eyes have been open to how much I have been blessed with. My faith is now my everyday life. As I connect with players I am able to ask them about their faith and their lives, as well as share about mine. If they are open to talking about it great, if not, that’s ok. I can still share the actions that Jesus Christ lived by and that’s the most important part.


For our team there is a lot at stake right now; competing in the playoffs and now going into the Super Bowl can be a lot of pressure and stress for these guys. But with any pressure and stress that comes, we know that it’s all in God’s hands so we just need to lean in and trust in Him. I just encourage them to use the ability and talents that God’s given them and play to that. Our future is in His hands and with that there is a great peace.


“In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.”                                                                                      -Proverbs 16:9


At times we get caught up in the game and we don’t realize that this game has a lot of power to reach people. The players have a unique opportunity to connect with people and influence others that are watching them. It goes beyond the field. When they are able to stand before their faith and be the voice for the community, they have the chance to impact so many in the position that they’re in. 

I’m so impressed with the Broncos’ involvement in the community and reaching out to the lives of others. I’ve experienced the impact of this firsthand. I’m excited to see the lives that can be changed through players talking about their faith in Christ. You never know the power that can come from a one person’s small decision to share their testimony. That testimony has the ability to change many lives, making ripples that continue to impact the world in the name of Christ.


No comments: