Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Prayer does not work according to a fixed formula


Dr. Philip Yancey writes the following on his blog:

Prayer can be frustrating, confusing, and fraught with mystery.  I probe such questions as: Is God listening? Why should God care about me? If God knows everything, what’s the point of prayer? How can I make prayer more satisfying?  Why do so many prayers go unanswered? Do prayers for healing really matter?  Does prayer change God?

I began with a list of such questions, then   I studied all 650 prayers in the Bible and interviewed scores of people about their own experiences with prayer.  The process of writing caused a revolution in my own conception and practice of prayer.

I now see it not so much as a way of getting God to do my will as a way of being available to get in the stream of what God wants to accomplish on earth.

This evening at Gastonia First Wesleyan Church we will gather at 7:00pm in the Worship Center to explore session 5 of this series:
Prayer Problems
Prayer does not work according to a fixed formula: get your life in order; say the right words; and the desired results will come. If that were true, Job would have avoided much suffering, Paul would have shed his thorn in the flesh, and Jesus would never have gone to Golgothia. Between the two questions, "Does God answer prayer?" and "Will God grant my specific prayer for this sick child or this particular injustice?" lies a great proof of mystery.   - Philip Yancey



Join us for this teaching followed by a powerful time of prayer.

No comments: