Saturday, March 24, 2018

Determining the Will of God


George Muller cared for thousands of orphans in England during the latter half of 19th century. Hailed as one of the most remarkable men of faith of the past two centuries, his plan for determining the will of God as a helpful outline to follow when we're listening for God's voice in prayer.










1. I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter.

2. Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If I do so, I make myself liable to great delusion.

3. I seek the will of the Spirit through, or in connection with, the Word of God.

4. Next, I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

5. I asked God in prayer to reveal His will to me aright.

6. Thus, through prayer to God, study of the Word, and reflection, I came to a deliberate judgement according to the best of my ability and knowledge.


Note the balance in George Mueller's steps. It's only at step 5 that he's ready to ask God directly (or "aright") for direction. At step 6, he has finally concluded what he believes he is hearing from God after several "checks and balances."                                                              ~ Dick Eastman

No comments: