Sunday, February 20, 2022

Sunday Thought: Jesus Our Modern-Day Lifeguard....


 

He sent from above, he took me; he drew me out of many waters;                                                                         - 2 Samuel 22:17

 

When I was a child I had a love, hate relationship with water. Baths, lakes, and the ocean seem to intimidate me and cause me great distress.

Once I finally entered the water I was able to relax and enjoy the experience but many times it would also cause me additional angst as I did not want to exit from it and would freak out.

My mother had to deal with this very difficult and uncomfortable situation. She never gave up on me and helped me overcome this fear. Her promises to protect and guide gave me peace and comfort knowing I was not alone.

I imagine David when he wrote this chapter of scripture felt similarly as he cried out to God for help and protection from his enemies.

He described being rescued from above out of many waters as he felt trapped and completely engulfed and surrounded as if he was drowning without hope of rescue.

In those difficult times, he remembered the promises spoken to him and learned to exercise them. God would faithfully respond according to his great mercy and kindness.

God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.                                                                     - 2 Samuel 22:33

 

Today we have an even greater connection and intimacy with God because of his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit made available to us.


As his divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.            - 2 Peter 1:3-4


Our greatest challenge is to learn not to rely on our own wisdom and strength during the difficult situations we all will face.

We must put into practice the art of surrender like David did before God and allow him to respond according to his word for our lives.

Jesus is our modern-day lifeguard and the only one who can rescue us but will we by faith cry out to him and trust in his promises?

No comments: