Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Great Adventure

The time is quickly approaching for our departure from Kansas. We are facing the great adventure!



Sharron and I found our schedule full as we prepare the last minute responsibilities at our house in Topeka. We took time on Thursday to meet with Pastor Alfredo Barreno and his son Christian. Sharron and I are constantly blessed by Pastor Alfredo and his family. Our ministry opportunities were great and our friendship has deeply grown over the past six years.

It was a happy moment when we signed the title of our 1993 Ford Festiva to Pastor Alfredo for his son Christian. This is his first car. They had been looking for a vehicle for Chris and when they indicated interest in purchasing our car - it was a joy to sell it to them for Chris.

Sharron and I worked until late last evening and then concluded the work of packing my office and personal items at the District Ministry Center today. It was an emotional moment as I surrendered my keys to the facility. We have now vacated the Ministry Center. No one else was there today because this is the day of the annual district conference. Today was the election for a new District Superintendent. My thoughts and prayers are with the pastors and delegates. I appreciate the leadership of Dr. Jerry Pence as General Superintendent and believe the conference will go well today and the celebration to follow will be great!

I have counted it a privilege to serve as District Superintendent of the Kansas District of the Wesleyan Church since July 2001. I believe this experience has continued to mold and shape me into the man of God and minister of the gospel that God intends me to be. I am very thankful for this opportunity. It is with deep love for the pastors and churches that I step away from this position. As you may have read this blog in the past; now is the time to face the simple priorities that Sharron and I established for our life and ministry together 29 years ago. God is first - family and close friends are second - and ministry (church) is third. We are confident in our decision to return home to North Carolina to be near family and life long friends.

It was disappointing during these past three months as doors of opportunity closed before us. It is also amazing how God opened the door to return me to pastoral ministry at a great church. I begin my responsibilities at North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene next week. Check out their web site about our arrival http://www.nrnazarene.org/

We are departing for NC on Saturday July 28th. Stephanie and Josh say they are ready for our arrival. The church is reaching out to us to assist us in our time of transition. We are excited about the new adventure and the journey of faith God is taking us on. I am reminded of one of my favorite songs:

The Great Adventure

(by:Steven Curtis Chapman, Geoff Moore)

Saddle up your horses!
Yeah a ah, Yeah a ah (saddle up your)
Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
this is a life like no other whoa ooh
this is the Great Adventure

Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
this is a life like no other ooh


Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
this is a life like no other whoa ooh
this is the Great Adventure


The great adventure, the great adventure
The great adventure, the great adventure

These truly are trustworthy sayings.....

6 comments:

Because of Love said...

I can't believe you put that song on there. You are funny! Danielle and I liked "Got To B Tru" better - remember that is the one with Toby from DC Talk!!! HA

Tell Momma that everything is all set in the guest room. She just has to dust, clean the bathrooms, and fix dinner. (Just kidding) Alyse is waiting to give her Grammy and Papa kisses. (And I am waiting to sleep in!!!!)

Anonymous said...

Rick & Sharon, I know as you leave Topeka it will be hard for you. Good-byes are always difficult and our prayers are with you. At the same time we are looking forward to your arrival in Raleigh with great anticipation. I believe that the greatest days for our church are just ahead. Dave Joslin

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I want to thank you for yor prayers and support. The ordination went well. I was honored and humbled to be set apart by God and the church for His service. I am excited about your new ministry. Now you have to have me out to preach! I look forward to hearing good reports. Stay in touch brother and blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

You hit the ground running.
You are on target.
Thank you for accepting this challenge, we need you.

Anonymous said...

I like doing the Bible verse by verse.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Rick & Sharron
We raise our FORKS in celebration for your new adventure. I can't believe we celebrate our 7th anniversary next month, thanks for being a part of our wedding and coaching to get there. Congrats on being closer to that cute baby and your girls.
take care,
Dale & Mar Claar