Sunday, July 22, 2007

I HATE CHANGE ?

I must admit: I HATE CHANGE! However, I have learned the lesson that change is inevitable. Everything that grows MUST change! No change - no life! Here are the two recent examples that have touched my life:

First: Our four month old grand daughter Alyse is being nursed by her mom - Stephanie. To supplement these feedings Alyse takes from a bottle. As her "Papa" it has brought great joy to hold her in my arms and feed her. It is very evident that she loves her bottle. Recently, her mom introduced a big change: it is time to begin to feed Alyse baby cereal to introduce new foods.


Though change is sometimes unpleasant - it is necessary. As Alyse took her first "bites" (she has no teeth yet) it was clear that she likes this new change. The bottle or the cereal - both are not only nutritional but very necessary is the physical growth of Alyse.


This is a very simple change in life. I wish all change was this simple. Soon this change of diet will be replaced with other foods and life goes on.





Second - Today the membership of North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene conducted the much anticipated pastoral vote. My response to the result of the vote is as follows:


On Sunday July 22, 2007 I received a telephone call from Dr. Mark Barnes – District Superintendent of the North Carolina District of the Church f the Nazarene regarding the results of the pastoral vote taken at North Raleigh.

The results are as follows: 128 votes cast; 114 Yes; 14 No; and very positive vote of 89%

This vote has been covered in prayer and in response; it is my privilege to accept the call as Lead Pastor of North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene.

Sharron and I plan to relocate to the Raleigh area as soon as possible. We anticipate our first Sunday as pastor to be August 5, 2007. We look forward to serving with the pastoral team at North Raleigh. It is a time to look with faith for the future. Please pray for the sell of our house in Topeka, KS. and the transition to Raleigh. Plan now to invite friends and family to join you as we celebrate our first Sunday together on August 5th.


Sharron and I are very excited about this change in our life. When we decided it was time to bring a close of our ministry in Kansas, it was one of the most difficult decisions of our life. It was at that time we clearly felt it was time for us to move back to North Carolina.
The move to Raleigh is filled with great anticipation! We realize that many changes are before us. In the days ahead we are praying earnestly for the sell of our house in Topeka, Ks. We appreciate the hard work of our realtor and trust God for the timing for the sell of the house! Our plans are to begin the relocation process by the end of the week. We will be spending time in Indian Trail NC and then on to Raleigh to being a new chapter of ministry in our life's journey.
The changes before us are HUGE! Our faith and confidence are in the Lord God.
These are the trustworthy words given to us at church today: "And looking upon them Jesus said to them,'With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'" (Matthew 19:26)
I have been reminded that our impossibilities are God's opportunities when we place our hope and trust in Him. I am convinced today that God will make a way when there seems to be no way. I will not be filled with anxiety about the changes and transitions in my life - but express my praise for God who directs my path and makes the way smooth. I am embracing the changes God is making in my life.
UMM - maybe it's not change I hate - just the "stuff" you have to deal with to bring about effective change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick and Sharon, I am thrilled for you! Change is hard but so necessary sometimes. If God did not change us we would be a sad lot indeed.
Kathe Decker