Friday, July 4, 2008

A tribute for our freedom

The Fourth of July 2008

On this day in 1776, the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress, setting the 13 colonies on the road to freedom as a sovereign nation. As always, this most American of holidays will be marked by parades, fireworks and backyard barbecues across the country.

2.5 million In July 1776, the estimated number of people living in the newly independent nation.Source: Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970 <http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/statab.html>

304 million The nation’s population on this July Fourth.Source: Population clock <http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html>
Source: US Census

As I think of the true meaning of Independence Day I am thankful for the sacrifice made by men and women across the years who have served in the armed force to secure our freedom. This American holiday was designed to bring to remembrance the patriotic duty of our forefathers who declared our Independence to establish - Under God - this nation.


Here is a tribute for our freedom from a one of my favorite groups. The Bill Gaither Vocal Band (David Phelps, Mark Lowry, Guy Penrod, and Bill Gaither) sings the Star Spangled Banner acapella . This brings tears to my eyes:



As I believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and a Servant of the Most High God I also choose to remember the freedom I have to declare my dependence upon the Creator God of the Universe. In Christ alone do I trust for my salvation.

I am blessed! If you have trouble grasping this "freedom" thing because you face temptations and bondage due to things in your life, I invite you to turn to God who loves you and demonstrated His love for you and me. The book I trust states that "While we were yet sinners - Christ died for us." His death gives me - and you - the assurance of life. My dependence upon Him is the source of my strength.

Be sure and comment if you want to know more about this dependence.

No comments: