Thursday, February 20, 2014

A step back in time - my reflection of the XII Olympic Winter Games in 1976

This past week on Facebook has been filled with surprises and memories.  Early in the week was a posting from a friend referencing a special time and event from 1976.  On February 13, I was moved by the number of people who wishes me a "Happy Birthday".  

Each night last week I was watching the TV coverage of the Winter Olympics. I thought it was time to reflect upon my time at the Olympics in 1976.

Innsbruck 1976
The 1976 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XII Olympic Winter Games, were a winter multi-sport event which was celebrated February 4–15, 1976 in Innsbruck, Austria. It was the second time the Tyrolean city hosted the Games.


I was a junior in college and part of a youth evangelistic team from the Wesleyan Church that joined with groups from around the world to present the claims of Christ to the multi-cultural crowd gathering in Innsbruck.  Each day we would make our way to the train station and prepare for ministry throughout the day. We were part of a special team to the Olympics as displayed by our winter coats.  We were part of the International Christian Outreach Delegation.

 I have pulled my jacket out of the closet after many years:

 
We received the jackets after arriving in Austria.
 
 
On the sleeve of the coat was the symbol of the mascot for the Olympic Games:
 
 
The mascot of the 1976 Winter Olympics is a Tyrolean snowman called Schneemann and represents the Games of Simplicity.
 
The time of ministry was remarkable.  The memories of the Olympics remain in my heart and mind:



 
The significant victory at the Winter Olympics of 1976 was Dorothy Hamill:



At age 19 she won a triple crown, snagging both the U.S. and World Championships and winning the Gold Medal in the 1976 Winter Olympics at Innsbruck, Austria. Her performance at the Olympics captivated an international audience, and hair stylists all over the United States were mobbed with customers seeking to emulate her distinctive hairstyle. She found herself continually in demand for commercial endorsements, to a degree unmatched by any figure skater before or since.

The most outstanding memories I have of this time are many.  I remember the privilege of meeting Corrie Ten Boom and interviewing her.  I remember the time spent in the hospital awaiting the scheduled surgery to have my appendix removed and how God intervened and I experienced the healing touch of God and still have my appendix. I remember the days of signing along the streets of Innsbruck as people gathered around us and we share Christ with them through a specially designed Four spiritual Laws packet.

I served in Innsbruck as a member of the YES Corps team - Youth Evangelistic Services of the Wesleyan Church. I prepared for the time in Innsbruck by memorizing Scriptures; developing a deepen prayer life; dedicating myself to service to the Lord; going through a month long time of spiritual preparation including fasting and exercising faith as I have never done before.  This was a life changing experience for a young man called to ministry.  

This time of ministry prepared me for the journey of ministry God has prepared for me.  I strive to walk in obedience to the call of God upon my life.  

No comments: