Sunday, June 22, 2014

Reflections from my message this morning: Avoiding a Spiritual Scam

Reflections from my message this morning:


Paul begins his letter with pleasantries and immediately clarifies his purpose for writing: 
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are following a different gospel—  not that there really is another gospel, but there are some who are disturbing you and wanting to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we (or an angel from heaven) should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to hell!  As we have said before, and now I say again, if any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let him be condemned to hell! Am I now trying to gain the approval of people, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people,  I would not be a slave of Christ.                                                                                                   Galatians 1:6-10

I said in the first message of this series: If we aren’t careful, the gospel can stop being GOOD   NEWS    What is the Gospel – the Good News?

Now let me remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News    I preached to you before. You welcomed it then and still do now, for your faith is built on this wonderful message. And it is this Good News that saves you if you firmly believe it, unless, of course, you believed something that was never true in the first place. I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me – that Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, as the Scriptures said.                           1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (NLT)

 Now Paul is concluding this letter and brings us back to the main point:

Notice what large letters I use as I write these closing words in my own handwriting. Those who are trying to force you to be circumcised are doing it for just one reason. They don't want to be persecuted for teaching that the cross of Christ alone can save. And even those who advocate circumcision don't really keep the whole law. They only want you to be circumcised so they can brag about it and claim you as their disciples. As for me, God forbid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world died long ago, and the world's interest in me is also long dead. It doesn't make any difference now whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we really have been changed into new and different people. May God's mercy and peace be upon all those who live by this principle. They are the new people of God. From now on, don't let anyone trouble me with these things. For I bear on my body the scars that show I belong to Jesus.  My dear brothers and sisters, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen                                     Galatians 6:11-18 (NLT)
How to Spot a False Teacher

1. They are hung up on OUTWARD   APPEARANCE

Those who want to make a good impression outwardly are trying to compel you to be circumcised...                                                  Galatians 6:12a (NIV)

If you love me, keep my commandments.        John 14:15 (NLT)


2. They RUN when things get HOT

... The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ.                                                             Galatians 6:12b (NIV)


3. They ask you to DO THINGS that they DON’T DO

And even those who advocate circumcision don't really keep the whole law...                                                                                                       Galatians 6:13a (NLT)

Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.                                         Hebrews 13:7 (NIV)


4. They tend to be ARROGANT

...They only want you to be circumcised so they can brag about it and claim you as their disciples.                                   Galatians 6:13b (NLT)


As for me, God forbid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world died long ago, and the world's interest in me is also long dead.                                          Galatians 6:14 (NLT)

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.                       James 1:17 (NIV)

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.                        Galatians 5:19-23 (NIV)

Many times legalism causes bondage in our life and we cannot handle it.  Here is an example:




I did not show this clip today die that it is so long - but it clearly brings forth the point that legalism holds us back spiritually - but Paul makes it abundantly clear what is most important:


It doesn't make any difference now whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been changed into new and different people.                                                                     Galatians 6:15 (NLT)

My dear brothers and sisters, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.                                                    Galatians 6:18 (NLT)

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God…                             Ephesians 2:8 (NIV)

But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me - and not without results. For I have worked harder than all the other apostles, yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace.                          1 Corinthians 15:10 (NLT)

No comments: