Wednesday, December 17, 2014

WHERE OUR SONG COMES FROM


Tonight at 6:30 we conclude our Corporate Prayer Encounters at the church for the Christmas season.  We will gather again on Wednesday January 7, 2015.

This is a recent devotional I read and felt it very appropriate for us today: 

Psalm 40:1–5 (NIV)

I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him. Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Many, Lord my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare.


REFLECTION

The Gospel is the stunning story of Christ coming into the world to lift us from the mess, to set us on solid ground with Him. And when He raised us up, He gave us something to sing about. He replaced the old songs of despair with new songs of praise—songs for the One who makes us new.

The Gospel and worship are inseparably linked. We don't worship Jesus because we ought to; we give Him praise because He has brought us back to life! And best of all--we don't have to wait for the band to start playing. We have God's mercy, and that's all the music we will ever need! So if you're alive today, sing redemption's song. If you have been set free, sing the name of the One who freed you. His salvation is where our song comes from.


MEDITATION

Oh, Holy Night

Oh, holy night, the stars are brightly shining;
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope, the weary soul rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees, oh, hear the angel voices!
Oh, night divine, oh, night when Christ was born!
Oh, night divine, oh, night, oh, night divine!
O night, O holy night, O night divine!
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His Gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother,
And in His Name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy Name!

Christ is the Lord!
Oh, praise His name forever!
His pow'r and glory evermore proclaim!
His pow'r and glory evermore proclaim!

Placide Cappeau, 1808-1877
Music by Adolphe Charles Adams, 1803-1856


PRAYER

Father, thank You for hearing my cry from the pit. I receive Your grace today and stand on the solid ground of Your righteousness. Every time I think of how You rescued me, my mouth can't help but sing Your praise. I love You and am so grateful for You. Let my whole life sing Your song. Amen!

No comments: