Sunday, July 12, 2015

Message for July 12, 2015 - My Story Pt.3 I decided to STAY



Intro: "One day, maybe years from now, you're going to tell a story about this season in life.  Maybe you'll tell a story you are proud of, maybe you won't because sometimes, you have to keep going when you'd rather give up.  Sometimes, you have to stay when you'd rather leave.  My story -- I decided to stay."  Today, we're in the third week of a four-week series of messages called, "My Story". 

If you missed last week, let me catch you up:

We began this series with some simple truths which we will review once again today.  This series is part of a BIG PLAN: We began this year with a teaching series entitled Instructions for Life. To Know God, Serve God, Seek God, Consider God and then act upon our instruction.  Then a series entitled AWAKEN – which lead us into a life of worship. As we approached Resurrection Sunday we prepared for a 10 week series through the first 10 chapters of the Book of Acts and the story of the Early Church called AD The Bible Continues.  God lead me to speak to us about telling our story. If God has changed us; transformed us – then we have a story worth telling.  The first message was making the decision to START.  Last week was making the decision to STOP.  Today is making the decision to STAY – next week is the decision to GO! 


Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…                                                                                     Hebrews 12:2


The decisions we make TODAY   determine the stories that we TELL tomorrow.


Example:  Ruth

But Ruth replied, “Don’t make me leave you, for I want to go wherever you go and to live wherever you live; your people shall be my people, and your God shall be my God; I want to die where you die and be buried there. May the Lord do terrible things to me if I allow anything but death to separate us.”  And when Naomi saw that Ruth had made up her mind and could not be persuaded otherwise, she stopped urging her.                   Ruth 1:16-18 (LB)

"I've heard your story. I've been told all about what you've done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband, how you left your father and mother and your homeland to come and live with a people that you did not know before.  You stayed with your mother-in-law."   "May the Lord repay you for what you have done.”      Ruth 2:11-12a (Paraphrased)


…Boaz, was the father of Obed.  Obed was the father of Jesse, and Jesse was the father of David.                       Ruth 4:21b-22 (NCV)



1.  You will never REGRET   making the right decision
Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won’t let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us. 2 We must keep our eyes on Jesus, who leads us and makes our faith complete. He endured the shame of being nailed to a cross, because he knew that later on he    would be glad he did. Now he is seated at the right side of God’s throne! 3 So keep your mind on Jesus, who put up with many insults from sinners. Then you won’t get discouraged and give up.       Hebrews 12:1-3 (CEV)



Illustration: An inspiring runner has proven yet again that success and failure are not measured by how you fall, but by how you pick yourself up. In 2008, Heather Dorniden, then a celebrated runner for the University of Minnesota, was leading the pack during the final heat of the 600-meter race at the Big Ten Indoor Track Championships. There was about 200 meters of the race to go when Dorniden tripped, landing hard on her face. But instead of throwing in the towel, the young woman jumped back onto her feet and began sprinting around the track, rapidly gaining speed.






Successful people don’t make a few big decisions…Hundreds small…


What does GOD   want   YOU   to want?


Where does God want   YOU   to   STAY  ?



2.  Sometimes, the greatest act of FAITH is faithfulness.

We must not become tired of doing good. We will receive our harvest of eternal life at the right time if we do not give up.      Galatians 6:9 (NCV)


Illustration: At the first ESPY Awards on March 4th, 1993 in New York City - 10 years after leading his NC State basketball team on a miraculous run to the national title, Jim Valvano addressed the audience and delivered like never before:


 



Closing: I can't help but think about Jesus when he knew in the garden of Gethsemane what he was going to face on the cross.  And in a very sincere moment before God, he said basically, God, may you remove this cup from me.  He was talking about the suffering that he would endure.  If there's any other way, God, let's do it that way. And then Jesus said the great words to stay the course, "nevertheless, not my will but your will be done."

Invitation: For every single one of you today that you realize you're doing life without God, Jesus stayed the course for you.  For every single one of you who realize, man, I've messed up, and I need forgiveness, and I need healing and I need a savior, Jesus stayed the course for you.  For every single one of you who realize I need the presence and the peace of God, Jesus stayed the course for you.  And he became sin for us on the cross, died and rose again so you could be forgiven, so you could be healed, so you could experience the goodness and the love of God on this earth, and forever in heaven.

There are those of you who you who recognize today: I need his love, I need his grace.  I'm doing life without an ongoing daily relationship with him and I want him in my life.  I need salvation, I need forgiveness of my sins.  I need his peace, I needed his presence.  Today, I turn from my sins, I turn toward him.  He stayed the course for me; I give my life to him.


Everyone prayer with me: "Heavenly Father, forgive me for my sins.  Jesus, make me new.  I believe you died for me and you rose again so I could live for you.  Fill me with your Holy Spirit so I could live the story you want me to tell. Be the author and the finisher of my faith.  My life is not my own; I give it to you.  Thank you for new life.  In Jesus name,             I pray.  AMEN!”

No comments: