Monday, July 27, 2015

New Series - Review from Sunday!

Yesterday, I began a new Teaching series on the Ten Commandments.

Why is the Law so important for us today?


I need to be very clear on this truth, Jesus paid every debt of the law.

  Read Romans, Galatians, and even Jesus own words in Matthew 5:17.  Jesus didn’t come to do away with the law, He came to meet its righteous demands, which we could never meet on our own. Still, the law today has value in showing us the things God values, how we don’t measure up, and our desperate need for His grace. The law is a good reminder of the things that matter most to God.  As I share this series, I’m thanking God for His grace.


Commandment One:

You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3 NIV


Is there anything in your life that has come between you and your relationship with God? I apologize if I am stepping on some toes, but this is a fair question. No, I’m not asking if you use an Ouija board to predict and plan your life. I’m not wondering if you worship your car or bow down to your TV.


I’m asking if there is anything or anyone you put in front of your personal, intimate relationship with the only one and true God of the Bible. Still looking at me with a puzzled look? Let me share a few examples:


Would you rather be late for work or late to church?

 Are you more likely to skip your favorite TV show or your morning devotion? 

Have you ever given up a meal to spend urgently needed time in prayer?

 Who do you say “good morning” to first each day?

 What does your checkbook say about your devotion to God? 

Is the first thing you grab with your coffee a newspaper or a copy of the precious word of God? 

To whom would your children (or your spouse) say you are the most devoted?

 Are you insulted more by the use of the Lord’s name in vain, or an insult of your alma mater?


Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

 I hope you have some steel-toed shoes on today! Mine are going to need a good soaking tonight! Remember, Jesus took the Ten Commandments to a higher level. Anything between you and God, anything that keeps you from your fervent, passionate, constant devotion to Him, is breaking that first commandment.

You can rejoice with me that He offers forgiveness, but let’s start today to obey His perfect word! Let’s put Him first! Let’s let Him be supreme in our life! 

Let us begin, right now, making sure there is NO god, BUT GOD!



And I’ll pray for your toes!

No comments: