Sunday, August 28, 2016

Blessed are those who mourn - for they shall be comforted

Today at Gastonia First Wesleyan Church I continued in the current teaching series:

When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down,   His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”        Matthew 5: 1-4 NASB






“Blessed is the man who is moved to bitter sorrow at the realization of his own sin. The way to God is the way of the broken heart. Penitence is the first act of the Christian life, and penitence is sorrow” (William Barclay).



“To mourn is something that follows of necessity from being ‘poor in spirit’. It is quite inevitable. As I confront God and His holiness, and contemplate the life that I am meant to live, I see myself, my utter helplessness and hopelessness. I discover my quality of spirit and immediately that makes me mourn. I must mourn about the fact that I am like that (Martyn Llyod-Jones, Sermon on the Mount, P.58).



What did the message say to you today at Gastonia First Wesleyan? 



No comments: