Saturday, March 6, 2021

Lenten Devotional Saturday, March 6, 2021

We Did It!

by Robbin Brent

Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it, no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it, because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.                                      —Frederick Buechner

I was talking with a dear friend recently, whining really, about my overwhelming to-do list, personal and professional, and some frustrating relationship challenges. After a thoughtful pause, he asked, “How are you kind to yourself?”

 

As I was considering the question, I realized that I don’t often take time to celebrate completions, wins, or milestones. I found myself asking, “What if, rather than seeing work extending outward toward a horizon without end, I chose instead to savor the journey, the process rather than the product, the millimeters rather than the miles?” I made a commitment to pause and celebrate after I completed something before moving on to the next item on my list. As I began this practice, I noticed a few subtle but significant shifts. I was able to better discern and appreciate the ways God’s presence was animating every area of my life, and I began to notice more ease and hopefulness in my day, less tension and worry.

 

When I shared this with another friend and asked her how she was kind to herself, she came up with the brilliant idea to start a “We did it!” folder. She writes her completions on a piece of paper that she keeps in the folder to help her remember and celebrate all that she has accomplished. And now I have one too. The “We” in the title is a perpetual reminder that we are never alone. We’re not alone in our struggles, and we’re not alone in our celebrations.

 

Making It Personal:

What do you think about creating a “We Did It!” folder for the significant milestones in your life?

 

Even if you don’t want to create a folder, can you think of any recent milestones, completions (projects, goals, dreams), or blessings that you want to celebrate?

 

 

 

Living Well Through Lent 2021

Copyright ©2021 Scott Stoner.

                                                 All rights reserved 

No comments: