Friday, February 29, 2008

AN EXTRA 24

FINALLY! A comment on my blog! It is from my oldest daughter- Danielle. At this moment she is my favorite daughter. She is effervescent with her smile and dry wit. She commented: "You crack me up with how all your blogs are like mini sermons or teachings....Where's the good stuff like about how cute your daughter is, and all the funny, cute things (and I'm not talking about sermon cartoons)??? Come on Rick!!!! Maybe you need to spend more time with me so you are entertained or have entertaining things to talk about. "

Well - Danielle - This posting is for you.

Today is Leap Day. Ever wondered what you would do with an extra 24 hours? I know – today is a work day and work is required. Responsibilities of life continue. However, this is a an extra day in our normal calendar. The plans Sharron and I have for today is to travel to Charlotte this afternoon to see our beautiful and funny and admiring daughter Danielle.

So, what is all this stuff about leap year? The year 2008 is a leap year. If you look at a 2008 calendar, you will see that February has five Fridays–the month begins and ends on a Friday. Between the years 1904 and 2096, leap years that share the same day of week for each date repeat only every 28 years. The most recent year in which February comprised five Fridays was in 1980, and the next occurrence will be in 2036.


Leap years are needed to keep our calendar in alignment with the earth's revolutions around the sun. The vernal equinox is the time when the sun is directly above the Earth's equator, moving from the southern to the northern hemisphere.
The mean time between two successive vernal equinoxes is called a tropical year–also known as a solar year–and is about 365.2422 days long. For more information visit http://www.timeanddate.com/date/leapyear.html

A Leap Year Ditty to Remember It By

Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November;
All the rest have thirty-one
Save February, she alone
Hath eight days and a score
Til leap year gives her one day more




Sharron and I are also looking forward to seeing Stephanie ( at this moment - my favorite daughter). It is hard to believe that one year ago today Stephanie was laying in a hospital bed awaiting the birth of Alyse. Tomorrow the celebration takes place as Alyse has her first birthday! Sharron and I were pleased that Josh, Steph and Alyse had a short visit with us in Raliegh last weekend. As Steph and I sat on the couch in our family room she reminded me that I "crack myself up". This means I laugh everyday. I try to see humor in the daily activities of life.



It is recorded that "David encouraged himself in the Lord" (1 Samuel 30:6).
It is also true that "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength." (Proverbs 17:22)

I think it is a good thing to crack yourself up. Enjoy life!

A pictorial journey of the last year:

February 28,2007 - preparing to leave for the hospital.


Grammy holds Alyse within hours of her birth

Alyse is now 5 months old and her personality is showing through.

Sharron and I have made the decision to depart Kansas and relocate to North Carolina. We are seeking God's favor to discover what God's plan is for our life and ministry. Within a few months, and after a roller coaster of emotions as doors of opportunity open and then close, God leads us to Raleigh, NC.

Alyse visits us in Raleigh over the Christmas holiday. Sharron and I realize how blessed we are to be near family and in pastoral ministry.


When I think of how God has taken us on this journey of the past year, I am amazed at His fiathfulness and goodness to us. I remember holding my daughters Danielle and Stephanie in my arms when they were less than a year old and it seems like yesterday. Now I hold my granddaughter in my arms; I see her big smile, I listen to her laughter when I bring out "the claw" as I tickle her. I would have never imaganied such a great life. I am blessed by Sharron as we celebrate 30 years marriage this year. I am a blessed man and praise God for every day!

Tomorrow we party as Alyse celebrates her one year birthday.

I choose for this leap day - to be a day of reflection - giving thanks to God- loving family - and having fun. Today, I will crack myself up!

3 comments:

Andy said...

Here's a comment... does that make me your favorite daughter if even for a little bit? ;)

Maybe we'll see you in Indian Trail tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

This is MUCH better!!! You still had to throw the little lesson in there though, didn't you? It's ok...that's just you...and you crack me up too! Also, we can tell that Stephers is really your favorite daughter. She gets 2 pics to my 1...but mine is way cuter so it's all good! And I told you, I'm not poppin out a kid just to gain points.

Because of Love said...

How come Danielle has the glamor shot and I am either 43 weeks pregnant or in labor!

However - Sorry, Danielle, but Alyse is cuter than you! :)

Oh, and thanks for the science lesson.