Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Revival We Need

As I prepare for my sermon for Sunday entitiled Encountering the Almighty I came across a website of a friend that challenged me. As I shared with the members of the Church Board at NRN at our last meeting that I believe we are on the verge of a divine moment from God, I asked the board members to join me in that belief. I am trusitng God for a supernatural movement of the Holy Spirit in my life and the life of my church. This is why I have been challenged by the words below:

“The Revival We Need” by Oswald J. Smith (1925) says…

“Work among believers of itself will not suffice. It matters not how spiritual a church may profess to be, if souls are not saved something is radically wrong, and the professed spirituality is simply a false experience, a delusion of the devil. People who are satisfied to meet together simply to have a good time among themselves, are far away from God.

Then he goes on to say…

“Real spirituality always has an Outcome. There will be a yearning and a love for souls. We have gone to places that have a name of being very deep and spiritual, and have often found that it was all in the head, the heart was unmoved; and there was, not infrequently, hidden sin somewhere. ‘Having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof.’

“Oh, the pathos of it all! Let us then challenge our spirituality and ask what it produces; for nothing less than a genuine Revival in the Body of Christ resulting in a true Awakening among the unsaved will ever satisfy the heart of God.“

This is a trustworthy saying that I long to become reality in my life and ministry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just reviewing this quote the other day. I was moved by the urgency of it. There is in fact, no shades of gray. It is a matter of utmost urgency and requires our greatest attention. We tend to spend a lot of effort toward ends that have no outcome. Oh, if we would only pour our efforts into the much needed spiritual revival that is necessary for the salvation of souls!
I keep up with you from your posts and miss our conversations. Pray for our family as we are in the midst of transition.