Thursday, July 30, 2009

Miscarriage

A miscarriage can often be a deeply traumatic and emotional experience, regardless of when in the pregnancy it is suffered, especially if you have been trying to conceive for a long time, or have suffered a miscarriage previously. From the first moment they find out they are pregnant, many women are deeply pre-occupied with impending motherhood and all the changes it involves, and even if your response to the pregnancy is more reserved or ambiguous, the sense of loss following a miscarriage can still be tremendous. Common reactions to the loss of a pregnancy are really no different to other forms of grief, you may feel deep shock, numbness, guilt, a sense of helplessness, you may find it difficult to concentrate on anything else and be unable to sleep.

I recently read these words from an article titled Coping with miscarriage By ThinkBaby

As Stephanie is recovering from a recent miscarriage my heart is broken for her and Josh. This time brings clear memories from 30 years ago. Sharron and I had been married for almost two years and felt it time to begin a family. When Sharron told me that she was pregnant we cried together with tears of joy. I knew this meant our lives were about to undergo a major change. When Sharron went through the miscarriage she and I were devastated. Our church family came around us to pray and encourage us. I clearly remember Sharron going for a follow up visit and returning home handed me a note from the doctor. It read “When at first we don’t succeed – try, try, again!” Ten months latter God blessed us with beautiful twin daughters.

Now as my daughter goes through a miscarriage my heart is broken for her. I know that when God terminates a pregnancy we may wonder – WHY? I believe that nothing happens in our lives that are not Father filtered and God has a divine plan for Stephanie and her unborn child.

I have been studying and preparing messages from a series of questions. On Sunday August 9th I plan to preach on the question: Is Heaven a real place? In this study I have come to the opinion that someday Stephanie may see her child.

God’s Word tells us in Isaiah 11:6-9 (NLT)

“In that day the wolf and the lamb will live together; the leopard and the goat will be at peace. Calves and yearlings will be safe among lions, and a little child will lead them all. The cattle will graze among bears. Cubs and calves will lie down together. And lions will eat grass as the livestock do. Babies will crawl safely among poisonous snakes. Yes, a little child will put its hand in a nest of deadly snakes and pull it out unharmed. Nothing will hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain. And as the waters fill the sea, so the earth will be filled with people who know the Lord.”

When we go to heaven there will be peace unlike anything we have ever experienced. Babies and little children will walk without fear of injury or pain. Where do these babies and young children come from? Could it be the unborn babies and children taken in death before fulfilling their future? Since God knows us in our mother’s womb, I ask: Wouldn’t that be just like God?

One thing is for certain: “… our perishable earthly bodies must be transformed into heavenly bodies that will never die. 1 Corinthians 15:53 (NLT)

“That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9 (NLT)

Meanwhile, we continue to pray for Stephanie and Josh during this time of grieving and loss. I am so thankful for Danielle who was by her sister’s side at the hospital and did all she could to assist her sister. I am so thankful for my wife Sharron who arrived at Stephanie’s to clean her house and then prepare several meals to help them during the days ahead. Sharron and I have tried to take care of Alyse during each day and try to be there for Stephanie. I appreciate all the emails and comments on Facebook and the thoughts and prayers of so many.

Stephanie has a doctor's appointment on Friday and we trust all is going well. Sharron and I have an event on Saturday afternoon and plan to arrive back in Raleigh on Saturday evening.
I look forward to being back at NRN and preaching this Sunday.

No comments: