Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Tribute

Today we pause to honor all our veterans.

The first Armistice Day on Nov. 11, 1919, marked the one-year anniversary of the end of World War I, what many proclaimed, with an optimism that turned out to be wildly misplaced, ``the war to end all wars." The day was set because of the 11th day of the 11th month and at 11:00am the Armistice was signed.

It became a U.S. national holiday in 1938 and in 1954 was renamed Veterans Day to honor all veterans. With the end of the draft and the passing of the World War II generation, military service is not the common denominator in American life it once was.There are currently 23.2 million veterans, down from a peak of 28.6 million in 1980.

I think today of Joe Solomon from our church who returned from his tour just a few months ago. I think of Jared Phillips - a friend from Sturgis Michigan who served a tour several years ago and continues to serve today. I also pause to think of my dad - who served in World War II. (I hope to post more about this soon.)

Here is a short tribute to our Veterans today!



If you have the opportunity today - be sure and thank a veteran!

No comments: