Sunday, March 16, 2014

A reflection from the message today at NRN - The Called

A reflection from the message today at NRN:





After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee. He preached God’s good news.  “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God is near. Turn away from your sins and believe the good news!”

One day Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee. There he saw Simon and his brother Andrew. They were throwing a net into the lake. They were fishermen.  “Come. Follow me,” Jesus said. “I will make you fishers of people.”



 At once they left their nets and followed him.

Then Jesus walked a little farther. As he did, he saw James, son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat preparing their nets. Right away he called out to them. They left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men. Then they followed Jesus.
                                                                                                          Mark 1:14-20 (NIRV)


When Jesus called Peter ( from the Gospel of Luke - the Bible mini-series)




I shared this reading as part of my message today:
A good friend, Chris Conrad shared this in a church planters training guide:

I’ve had the privilege of spending most of my life in what most people would call “successful ministry situations.”  I’m humbled by the fact that I’ve had the privilege of being used by God to lead “successful,” high-paced, life-changing ministry.  I know what it is like to feel like I’m going Mach 2 above the desert floor, having the time of my life as God pours out more blessings that we could ever deserve. To Him be the praise!

 I also know what it’s like to crawl in the sand on that very same desert floor. To have sand in your hair, in your mouth, in your eyes…longing, pleading for a drink of refreshing ministry…but nothing comes.  And all you can hear are the sounds of planes overhead as the break the sound barrier with their fast-paced, awe-inspiring, high-profile ministries.

 That’s what a tough ministry challenge feels like. Crawling in the sand of the desert floor while others fly high overhead.

 The temptation to give up is intense. So is the temptation to develop “ministry envy.” To look at others who, for whatever reason, have been given easier ministry assignments and ask, “What’s up with this, God?”

There have been times like this in my ministry.  Since 1991 I have gone back to a song a number of times to encourage myself in the Lord and be reminded of the call of God upon my life.  Here is that song:






          What is the call of Jesus upon your life?

Here is a great bonus today:  Please take time to watch this great clip about a recent presentation of the song "For the Sake of the Call":

)

No comments: