Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Be an example in prayer

As we gather for prayer this evening at 6:30 in Room 133 at North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene, I am trusting God for a moving of His Holy Spirit upon us. 

 Here is a primer of scriptures and suggested prayers: 

Salvation:
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-9)




9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,
I confess that I am a sinner and I have not lived my life for you. I ask forgiveness for my sins. I believe Jesus is your only Son and that He died on the cross for my sins and you raised Him from the dead. I receive Jesus Christ now as my Lord and Savior. I turn my life over to Him and ask you to change me from the inside out. Thank you for your salvation to me. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 A Christian struggling with sin:

1Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.2Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.3For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.4Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.

10Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.11Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.12Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.                 (Psalm 51:1-4; 10-12)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,
You know the struggles I am having with ongoing sin. Please forgive me my sins. Please deliver me from bondage to sin and create in me a pure heart to live only for you. I rededicate my life to you. Please send your Holy Spirit in all His power to help me live my life exclusively for you. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.
 
 Wisdom & Direction:

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,
You know the situation I face. I don’t know what to do. I release my need and my anxieties to you right now and ask that you give me your peace that surpasses understanding, and the wisdom how to resolve my circumstances. Enable me to patiently await your timing for the resolution of the problem and what I need to be doing on my own in the meantime. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.


 Physical Healing:

23Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.24News about him spread all over Syria, and people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed, and he healed them. (Matthew 4:23-24)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,
I know that you can heal me. You know the pain I am in. I ask that you heal me from my sickness, whether it be divinely or through doctors and medicine. I also know that your will is made perfect through me when I am surrendered to you. If your perfect will does not include my healing, then I ask you to give me the joyful patience of affliction and the peace of heart to glorify you through my illness. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 Comfort:

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.       (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

Jesus speaking: 28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,
You know my situation and you know how much I need your comfort in my life right now. Please let me sense your overwhelming love for me right now to see me through the storm I am facing. Please send me your divine comfort and enable me to totally rest in you. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Faith & Trust:

1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. . .
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:1, 6)

5Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,
Please give me the faith and trust in you for the circumstance I’m facing. Please develop my faith to think and act in line with your ability to provide, not mine. Please enable me to trust you with all my heart and not to lean on my own understanding. Please teach me to see the incomparably great power you have and not limit myself to my abilities. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Protection:

10The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. 
                                                 (Proverbs 18:10)

Jesus speaking: 33“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

Suggested Prayer:

Dear God,

You know the life situation I am facing and I am concerned about my safety. I ask for your divine protection. I ask that you send your angels to watch over me and my loved ones. I ask for the peace of heart that Jesus promised in a world filled with trouble. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

No comments: