Friday, September 11, 2015

John Wesley's shocking sins

I recently became aware of Albert Outler and his book on John Wesley's theology. Outler was born in 1908 and raised in Georgia. He was an ordained Methodist Elder who served in several appointments. 

He graduated from Wofford College and received his PhD degree from Yale University, teaching at both Yale and Duke University before beginning a long tenure at Southern Methodist University in Texas.  His writings reveal: 

John Wesley was a practical, rather than systematic theologian.  He was a thinking doer --  too busy leading a revival movement to sit down and write a comprehensive book of doctrines.  Wesley's beliefs, however, can be gleaned from his vast collection of journals, sermons and letters.  Outler does exactly that: drawing John Wesley's thoughts into grand themes that reflect Methodist understanding and priorities.  




John Wesley had failed as a missionary to America, and was on his journey home.  God used this painful experience as a mirror -- to reveal how much he needed grace.  Although a very religous (and often self-righteous) rule-keeper, he was shocked to realize how much he lacked spiritually.  This soul searching led to his Aldersgate experience a few months later, when his "heart was strangely warmed."

We cannot be gracious to others until we embrace it for ourselves.  We cannot know the depth of grace until we see the extent of our need for it.

On the ship back to England, John Wesley wrote to his brother, Samuel, "by the most infallible proofs, inward feeling, I am convinced,

1. Of unbelief; having no such faith in Christ as will prevent my heart from being troubled; which it could not be, if I believed in God

2. Of pride throughout my life past, inasmuch as I thought I had what I find I do not have

3. Of gross irrecollection; inasmuch as in a storm I cry to God every moment, but in calm, I do not

4. Of levity and luxuriance of spirit, recurring whenever the pressure is off, and appearing by my speaking words that do not edifying; but most by my manner of speaking of my enemies
.

1 comment:

Al DeFilippo said...

Thank you, Rick, for the post. For more on John Wesley, I would like to invite you to the website for the book series, The Asbury Triptych Series. The trilogy based on the life of Francis Asbury, the young protégé of John Wesley and George Whitefield, opens with the book, Black Country. The opening novel in this three-book series details the amazing movement of Wesley and Whitefield in England and Ireland as well as its life-changing effect on a Great Britain sadly in need of transformation. Black Country also details the Wesleyan movement's effect on the future leader of Christianity in the American colonies, Francis Asbury. The website for the book series is www.francisasburytriptych.com. Please enjoy the numerous articles on the website. Again, thank you, for the post.