Friday, January 26, 2018

How to Prepare for a Pastoral Vote (Pastors)

Police were called to break up a brawl at a church in North Carolina on Sunday (1/30/11). Apparently, members were divided over the ouster of their pastor, and fighting broke out over whether a vote should be held to reinstate him.

While most pastoral votes go a bit more smoothly, the occasion always brings a bit of tension for both the pastor and lay people. If there are divisions within the congregation, they will certainly surface. Emotions can run high.

This year I am facing a pastoral vote of my own. In our system, congregations generally must vote to renew their pastor’s service periodically. While I don’t expect difficulty, I don’t take a positive outcome for granted. I use the time leading up to a pastoral vote to reflect on my calling to the particular place of service and my potential for effectiveness there.

Here are several questions I’m asking myself in preparation for this time.

1. Do I continue to sense that God is calling me to serve in this particular place?
\ Have I prayed diligently about this? If unsure, whom can I ask for counsel? If I no longer feel called here, in what direction is God leading me?

2. Do I continue to have a vision for effective ministry here?

Has my original vision changed? What new challenges or opportunities have arisen? Can I clearly state the outcomes that should occur in the next two-to-four years?\

3. Have I been faithful in my responsibilities?

Have I been diligent in exercising my spiritual gifts? Have I been persistent in praying for the people? Have I given adequate time to studying and teaching the Scriptures?

4. How effective has my service been?

What have been the results of my work? Do I sense that God is pleased with the outcome? Am I pleased with what has been accomplished? If not, what factors have hindered my effectiveness?

5. What is the status of my relationship with the congregation?

Are people united behind my vision for the church? Are there any unresolved issues? Do I have the confidence of the church’s leaders? Do I believe I am adequately compensated for my work?

6. What has been the effect of this assignment on my family?

Is my family thriving during this season of ministry? Does our involvement here have a positive effect on their spiritual lives? Do they feel called to continue this service?

7. Am I ready to accept the outcome of this vote as an expression of God’s will?

If not, what accounts for my reservations? From whom can I seek counsel about my hesitations?



In part two of this post, we’ll look at questions laypeople can ask in preparation for a pastoral vote.


Source:  Lawrence W. Wilson  

I blog about Christian faith and ministry. I've also written a few books including The Long Road Home and Why Me? Straight Talk about Suffering.

No comments: