Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Preacher’s Pledge



As I stood to begin my sermon this morning at Gastonia First Wesleyan Church, I felt prompted by the Lord to share about a       re-commitment I made this first week of a new year.  I shared these words: 

On this first Sunday of a new year, I want to make you aware of the re-commitment I have made by taking the Preacher’s Pledge which is the following: I will make the Bible my primary resource in sermon preparation and preaching. I will also use other resources such as commentaries and web sites, such as Sermon Central and other subscription sites to enhance, not replace, my personal interaction with Scripture. As I study I will strive to accurately understand and honestly apply God's Word, allowing Him to uniquely proclaim His truth in a relevant way through me.” 

As a young minister, I heard Adrian Rogers say, “I got this story from someone who got it from someone who got it from the Lord.” In fact, the pastor of a mega church said to me about 15 years ago:” If my bullet fits your gun, go ahead and shoot it." I recently discovered this is a quote from Adrian Rogers. 

Rick Warren gives full permission for others to use his sermons and so do I!  My goal will always to give credit where credit is due. 

No comments: