Saturday, January 27, 2018

How to Prepare for a Pastoral Vote (Laypeople)

The early church drew straws. Some churches cast ballots. Others call the bishop. And a few have even resorted to fisticuffs in an effort to settle on a new pastor. Every church has a way of appointing pastors and periodically reviewing its relationship with them.

Many churches vote on their pastors periodically, and that can be an anxious time for both the pastor and the people.

I’ve experienced pastoral voting from the pastor’s side, yet I remember hearing from a close friend about the anxiety that accompanied a particular vote at his church. There was a deep rift between the leadership team and the pastor that he seemed unaware of. When a negative vote signaled the end of the pastor’s service, my friend had the unwelcome task of delivering the news. “He was in shock,” my friend reported. “None of us could believe that he hadn’t seen this coming.”

Thankfully, that happens only a small minority of the time. Most pastoral votes are positive. Even so, they are a valuable occasion for the congregation to review the status of its relationship with the leader.

Pastors have their own set of questions for reflection when preparing for a vote. Here are important things for members of the congregation to consider.

1. Do I have a clear sense God’s direction for the future leadership of our church?

Have I prayed diligently about this? Do I feel confident of God’s leading in the matter? If not, what can I do to gain clarity?

2. What personal biases may shape my opinion?

Do I have either a close personal relationship with or ill feelings toward the pastor that may hinder my objectivity? If so, what can I do to gain clarity?

3. How effectively has our church carried out its mission in recent years? 

To what degree has the pastor been responsible for that success or failure? To what degree is the congregation responsible? In what ways am I responsible?

4. Have we adequately communicated both affirmations and concerns?

In what ways has the congregation communicated with the pastor? Have I personally communicated both affirmations and concerns where appropriate? Are there any issues that should be addressed prior to the pastoral vote?

5. What is the status of the pastor’s relationship with our church?

Is there a good working relationship between the pastor and people? Are there latent issues that need to be resolved? If so, what action will I take to resolve them? Is our pastor fairly compensated? Does the pastor’s family benefit from being part of this congregation?

6. Am I prepared to accept the results of this process as an indication of God’s will?

If not, what accounts for my hesitation? From whom could I seek counsel on the matter?

What is the most important factor in voting on a pastor?




No comments: