Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Escape to the Mountains




ESCAPE TO THE
MOUNTIANS









Over the past few days Sharron and I have escaped to the mountains for a personal get a way and a time to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary.

We love the beaches of North Carolina but also have a real love for the beautiful mountains.


On Sunday afternoon - I kidnapped Sharron to have time together. We later headed to beautiful Boone, NC. We left the 100 degree temperature in Raleigh and drove to Boone.


As we entered into the town the sky opened with a thunderstorm and we watched the gauge in our car showing the temperature dropping to 63 degrees.



The next day we spend some time in the town of Boone and then traveled down to Linville Caverns. For more information about this natural beauty also visit a site HERE about the history and significance of Linville Caverns.




On Wednesday we spent some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway .

In a serendipitous decision we decided to stop at Linville Falls and hiked the Erwins View Trail for a great view of the waterfall. Here, the Linville River spills gently over the upper falls where it widens and pauses. Drifting into a narrow canyon, the water suddenly spirals out of sight and plunges 45 feet over the lower falls.


We are really glad we took the time to enjoy this afternoon adventure.


We drove back to Boone and spent some time in Mast General Store - which opened in 1883. Sharron and I walked through the store and of course stopped at the candy counter.... WOW! As we made our purchase the salesperson entered into a short conversation with me - asking where I lived. When I replied Raleigh, I then added that my wife and I were visiting Boone on our 30th wedding anniversary. She commented how special that was. I told her we are blessed and as Sharron says: "We have been happily married for 26 years and 26 out of 30 ain't too bad!"


One more reflection from our time in Boone. I feel no visit to Boone, NC is complete without a meal at the famous:


Sharron and I have made some great memories of our 30th anniversary.

3 comments:

Joanie Richards said...

I'm glad you were able to spend some time alone. The Mast General Store is my favorite place in Boone.

cool rita said...

Congratulations! Thirty more years or bust!!! Love to you both. Steve and Rita

Anonymous said...

Your commercial for Boone made me want to get in the car and go there...Gary and I have wanted to explore that part of NC...thanks
I am glad you are having a good time...and relaxing...Julia