Thursday, May 21, 2009

An extended learning curve

I’m Back! Sorry for the long delay in my posting on my blog. Over the last three weeks I have been overwhelmed with my learning curve. You probably know what a learning curve is. According to Wikipedia the term learning curve refers to a graphical representation of the "average" rate of learning for an activity or tool. It can represent at a glance the initial difficulty of learning something and, to an extent, how much there is to learn after initial familiarity. Example:

















It began on Tuesday April 28th as I attended the Thr3e Conference in Charlotte, NC. This was an outstanding day for several reasons. I enjoyed the day with Danielle, my daughter. I made a great connection with a new friend from Raleigh. I was there to assist Stephanie and Josh with Alyse following Stephanie’s automobile accident.

Here are some of the truths I learned and are applying to my life from Thr3e:




1. Thr3e was not really a conference. On the website it read:


On February 5, 2006, 118 people showed up at the first ever Elevation Church worship experience. Three years later, with three portable campuses, over 3,000 salvations, and a regular attendance over 5,000, we’re ready to unload everything we’ve learned. Say hello to the first (and only) THREE event.

It’s not a typical conference. No frills, no screens, no lights, no music. This is it - one day, one microphone, and three sessions with one of the nation’s top church leaders. You don’t want to miss Pastor Steven Furtick, as he gives a behind the scenes look at the top three things he has learned in the first three years of Elevation Church.


The concept is simple. As Elevation Church approaches three years of age, we want to share some of what we’ve learned while its still fresh. And we want to do it in a setting that is small enough to have maximum impact. Registration will be limited so act fast. The entire Elevation Staff will be there and we’ve built in time so everyone can connect with our staff and have a chance to meet Pastor Steven Furtick. We’ll also be downloading all attendees with all of our operational documents (worth the trip!)


2. The church needs to have a spirit of audacity about it. Churches aren’t supposed to be shrinking violets but instead be revolutionizing, audacious, in your face organisms that happen to love you enough to want you to go to heaven.


3. God doesn’t step in until you step out! You have got to go do it. It won’t happen if you don’t try.



4. Church leaders need to be themselves. Don’t imitate others or try to do it their way. Be yourself and let God use you. The thing that makes you unique, makes you POWERFUL. I love this one.


5. Think inside the box. That is to say, look at what you have to work with and WORK IT! It’s easy to wish for things you don’t have but all too often we let that stop us.


6. You can never build a church on the people who have left. Invest in the people who are there!


7. The space between Hope & Change is PAIN!


The next Big Curve came on Monday May 11th - when Pastor Ryan and I traveled to Cummings, Georgia to attend a one day conference called “The Sticky Church”

The featured speaker was Dr. Larry Osborne.


Larry is the senior pastor of North Coast Church, recognized as one of the most innovative churches in America for its pioneering work in the area of multi-site, video venues and for 80% participation in adult sermon-based small groups. Larry is the author of the new book Sticky Church.




Another great speaker for the day was a friend that I met a number of years ago at a conference in Orlando. He is the founding pastor of a great church in Charleston, SC. His name is Greg Surratt and is a friend on Facebook.






My mind was filled with great ides and encouragement after attending this time in Georgia. The insights were great and the time with Pastor Ryan was worth the trip.





THE THIRD BIG CURVE - came today as I travelled the 12 miles from my house to Raleigh First Church of the Nazarene. It was great to connect with some friends but expecilally to see Dr. Stan Toler a friend of over 20 years. I once again heard his presentation on the Five Star Church.



The past three weeks have been packed with connecting with new friends and friends from the past. I must admit - I am loving life! Now that I have finally paused to post this blog - I think I shall post again soon! Hopefully, I am have gotten my "groove" back after such a long term of learning curve. Now - just to apply all this "stuff" to my life.....


No comments: