Tuesday, March 19, 2013

On the Cross - Jesus became sin for me and you

Another reflection from my message from this past Sunday at NRN: 

 
 
Charles Spurgeon puts it like this in

Morning & Evening, Daily Reading


(Christian Focus Publications, 1994):  “Christ has paid the debt of his
people to the last jot and tittle, and received the divine receipt; and

unless God can be so unjust as to demand double payment for one

debt, no soul for whom Jesus died as a substitute can ever be cast into

hell…. If God is just, I, a sinner, alone and without a substitute, must be

punished; but Jesus stands in my place and is punished for me; and

now, if God is just, I, a sinner, standing in Christ, can never be punished.

God must change his nature before one soul for whom Jesus was a

substitute can ever by any possibility suffer the lash of the law.

Therefore, Jesus having taken the place of the believer—having

rendered a full equivalent to divine wrath for all that his people ought

to have suffered as the result of sin, the believer can shout with glorious

triumph, “Who shall lay anything to the charge of God’s elect?” Not

God, for he has justified; not Christ, for he has died, “yes rather has

risen again.” My hope does not live because I am not a sinner, but

because I am a sinner for whom Christ died; my trust is not that I am

holy, but that being unholy, he is my righteousness. My faith does not

rest upon what I am, or shall be, or feel, or know, but in what Christ is,

in what he has done, and in what he is now doing for me.”

No comments: