Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Connection - A Christian Imperative

Last Sunday at NRN I continued in my series of messages from the book of First Peter. We took time to look at chapter five and I gave the antidote of a stress filled life.
A fundamental truth that I shared is that as believers in the Lord we really do need each other. I have discovered over my years of ministry that the majority of people who become disgruntled and depart the church were usually Sunday morning attendees only and did not connect in a small group. Connection with others is imperative in your Christian walk.

On Sunday evening Sharron and I hosted another Birthday Fellowship at our home. This is a practice we began during our first year at North Raleigh Church of the Nazarene. It is an opportunity for every person at our church to be invited to our home for a dessert fellowship. Sharron prepares a variety of desserts and people come to our home for laughter, stories, and getting to connect with new friends.


On Sunday we were privileged to host 30 people for an evening of strawberry desserts and plenty of laughter.

The next evening, Sharron and I visited one of our small groups that meets across the area. This group meets on Monday evenings - usually twice a month - in the Durham area. This group is a good example of the church in action. Everyone was greeted warmly. They sat around a room and just talked about life. Then the time came for prayer request and the group paused as a number shared personal request. It was very evident the God's presence was there as people prayed for each other. The prayer time was followed by viewing an eight minute DVD clip and then a lively discussion on forgiveness and the Biblical exhortation not to take revenge on others.

The meeting time concluded with refreshments and more laughter. One couple brought their grand daughter with them to the meeting and she was very observant to what was happening around her. As they departed for the evening she shook my hand, smiled and said to me: "You're awesome". I think she is very discerning and a very intelligent child!

Now - Don't you wish you were part of a small group?

No comments: