Friday, September 27, 2013

Vacation is coming to a close... time for re-entry.

Sharron and I returned from vacation today.  I am preparing for the weekend and have lots to do!  My post today is behind due the amount of growing responsibilities I have faced since returning home. The slow pace of vacation has now been replaced by the fast pace of ministry. 

We had an awesome time at Topsail Island, NC as I rested and met my goal as becoming Pastor Beach Bum.  We returned last Saturday as I made an appointment to meet a pastor and visit his church.  I posted about this earlier this week but I really enjoyed my visit to Transformation Church near Ft. Mill, SC.   You may remember Derwin Gray as I have used this clip at our church:



Derwin Gray is a man of great passion. For six seasons in the NFL he played with a contagious passion that led to two Pro Bowl nominations. For the last nine years, he has communicated the Gospel of Grace around America and abroad with an intense passion that is both contagious and inspiring. Dewey is a 2004 graduate of the Billy Graham Institute of Emerging Evangelists and a graduate (with honors) of Southern Evangelical Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he is being mentored by world-renowned theologian, philosopher, and apologist Norman L. Geisler.  We are now good friends and sharing emails and insights about ministry.


Last Sunday morning I attended Elevation Church for a great time of worship.  I am so honored that my daughter Stephanie provides us with awesome seats.  We were on the second row of seat.  Stephanie sat beside the pastor's mother. Pastor Steven gave one of the best messages I have ever heard on the sovereignty of God.

Last Monday was the first day of school for Alyse as she began First Grade.  I posted about this yesterday.  On Tuesday we joined the family for a trip to the mountains to Sky Top Orchards
From the beautiful beaches on North Carolina to the awesome mountains we travelled.  Here are a few pictures of our day:

 The mountains near Flat Rock NC reminds me of my very first ministry appointment when I served as Minister of Youth and Music at the Bethel Wesleyan Church in Flat Rock NC. I served there from 1974-1976 during my first two years in college.  I would drive the 3 hours to the church each Saturday and return to college on Sunday evening. My home was a small travel trailer during the summer months while I served at the church.

Our first trip with family to Sky Top Orchard.  Here is Breeley:


Here is Alyse:
 
 
Alyse also enjoyed her time on the big tractor:


 
Breeley always likes to look at her younger sister - Cammie.

 
The day ended in the early afternoon. 


Sharron and I departed with a peck of apples for Sharron to use for pies; a gallon of apple cider and a dozen of apple sauce doughnuts (which we watched them prepare) and are now consumed....

The last several days we have enjoyed some down time to prepare for re-entry into our normal routine.  Sharron plans to be at the Women's ministry event tomorrow morning and I am teaching a class for Supervised Ministry for ministerial students in our district.  My mind this evening is on the thought: "This is Friday - but Sunday's coming."

No comments: