Sunday, August 31, 2014

Reflection of the message today from the life of Rebekah

It was so great to be able to preach today!  The message has been marinating in my soul for over 3 weeks. I have been praying for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the words I speak today!  I hope and pray this message greatly encouraged someone today on their spiritual journey through life. 




Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.       Hebrews 12:1

Today we ask Rebekah to join us in the race of life to give us insight about our life with God. Rebekah would say to us “Little did I realize how a simple act of generosity would change my life and the lives of so many other people.  Little did I know that my actions were the answer to a servant’s prayer and the plan of my sovereign God. All I did was what I felt I should do. You must do the same: Give generously to others.”

For when people ask for your help…
GIVE  GENEROUSLY TO OTHERS .”

Then he prayed, “O LORD, God of my master Abraham, give me success today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. May it be that when I say to a girl, ‘Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,’ and she says, ‘Drink, and I'll water your camels too’--let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.” Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder.   Genesis 24:12-15


THE REBEKAH PRINCIPLE

1. You can’t be generous and LEAGALISTIC at the same time.          

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.                         2 Corinthians 9:7              


2. You can’t walk the SECOND   MILE until you’ve walked the first

It’s easy for people to talk about the great and generous things they intend to do in the future. But if they’re not being generous with what they have now, then it is unlikely that they will suddenly change in the future. 

Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.                   Luke 16:10

3. You can’t TAKE IT WITH YOU , but you can send it on ahead.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.             Matthew 6:19-20


4. You can’t wait for the FEELING,  It will follow.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.            Matthew 6:21


FINAL WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT

 “Even the SMALLEST   ACTS of generosity make a difference.”
And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.        Matthew 10:42


Rebekah - An act of drawing water:  10 Camels @ 20 gallons each = 200 gallons Drawn at 5 gallon jar – 40 trips @ 4 minutes each = 2 ½ Hours.


 “When you give, the IMPACT of your generosity often outlives you.”

I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.                  John 4:38

“… with the measure you use it will be measured to you.”   Matthew 7:2

In the moment of giving, you cannot image how your actions might impact the lives of others in the future. Imagine what the world would be like if:
·       Michelangelo had said ‘I don’t do ceiling.’
·       Noah had said, ‘I don’t do boats’
·       Moses had said, ‘I don’t do rivers’
·       Mary had said, ‘I don’t do virgin births’
·       John the Baptist had said, ‘I don’t do baptisms.’
·       Peter had said, ‘I don’t do Gentile discipleship.’
·       Paul had said, “I don’t do letter.’
·       Jesus had said, “I don’t so crosses!

Rebekah became the great (37) grandmother of the Jesus Christ – the Messiah!
A lifestyle of generous giving will outlive you here on earth and in eternity!


 “When you give, you GIVE TO THE LORD!”
I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.                                                              Matthew 25:40



Rebekah’s prayer for us:  Lord, I ask that you would give my friends the eyes to see opportunities in the everyday events of life, the hands to reach out and give more than what is required or expected, and the hearts to do so much with motives that are pure and not self-seeking. Help us to be generous as Jesus was generous. Give us opportunity to put others before us and may we seek opportunities to give generously in the here and now. 

No comments: