Friday, April 4, 2008

Stay Classy

Over the past few days I have received a few emails from my friends in Kansas regarding the upcoming UNC - Kansas game on Saturday night. I realize this is a big game. The last time UNC and Kansas met in the final four was 1993. I felt I should respond.


The following news article caught my attention:


RALEIGH – Gov. Mike Easley and Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius have agreed to a “friendly wager” on the outcome of Saturday’s NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament semifinal contest between the UNC Tar Heels and the Jayhawks of the University of Kansas.

At stake is a pound of eastern North Carolina barbecue from Wilbur’s in Goldsboro and a pound of western barbecue from the Barbecue Center in Lexington, along with the fixings and a case of Cheerwine. Sebelius has countered with a barbecue dinner for four, including ribs and brisket and other Kansas products.


“Not only is North Carolina home to the finest basketball team in the nation, we also have the best barbecue in all the land,” Easley said. “I am as confident that UNC will advance to play for the national title as I am that I will be enjoying ribs and brisket from Kansas while cheering on the Heels in the NCAA championship game.”


Gov. Sebelius is confident her Jayhawks will be victorious against North Carolina. “It has been a spectacular season for the Jayhawks and I look forward to our victory on Saturday night and then I’ll continue celebrating with a taste of North Carolina barbecue,” she said.


UNC, the number one seed in the East, plays Kansas, the number one seed in the Mid-West, in San Antonio, Texas, on Saturday at 8:47 p.m.

Source: Copyright 2008 Asheville Citizen-Times. Clarke Morrison All rights reserved.


To my friends in Kansas - BRING IT ON!



This is known as the Hansbrough Victory Dance!



I understand there is a new, local ad campaign in Kansas that urges, "Stay Classy, Lawrence."



North Carolina head coach Roy Williams has strong feelings for Kansas. "I love that place so much. If somebody says ‘Rock Chalk Jayhawk’ when I’m walking through an airport, I still say, ‘Go KU,’ " he said. I think that's pretty classy!





Tarheel fans everywhere are wearing the Carolina Blue ribbons in memory and celebration of the life of Miss Eve Carson, student body president at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Miss Carson's life was tragically cut short. Eve Carson, only 22 years of age was shot and murdered early in the morning of March 5,2008 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Here is a little look at the North Carolina Tarheels this year:




I was taught as a young child - If God is not a Carolina Tarheel fan, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?

4 comments:

Christopher said...

I hope for Gov. Sibelius' sake that UNC wins. I would hate for her to have to eat that poor excuse for food that eastern NC calls barbecue. Barbecue sauce is tomato-based, people!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! I wish you're lucky I didn't see this before I sent your package off! Just kiddin' - your CPA. HA GO KU!

Anonymous said...

I can't comment on the quality of either state's BBQ as western KS has it's own BBQ flavors. I am though concerned if KU plays the way they did against the last team they played. Hope thing are going well for you Rick.

Dave

Danelle said...

That's a really cool video! It's going to be an awesome game! GO TARHEELS!!!!