Sunday, July 17, 2016

This morning is my first Sunday as the Lead Pastor of Gastonia First Wesleyan Church!


The transition has been lengthy and I have anticipated this day for weeks.  Thanks to Karla and the worship team for preparing the order of worship.

When I received the order of worship I have a slight concern - really a deja vu moment when I read Hymn # 674 Let Us Build A House of Worship.

I remember my first Sunday as Pastor of another church when we sang several hymns I had never heard and then stood to preach.  The worship experience was not very moving for me.

As I prepared for today I decided to learn from my past and I wanted to hear this song.  It was a pleasant surprise. It sounded familiar.

The Scripture at the top of the page is perfect for my message:  "In Him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by His Spirit."  Ephesians 2:22

The words (penned by Margaret Clarkson in 1977) are timely today.  The music by John Zundel in 1870 are very familiar to me.  Zundel's most famous use of the music is when he placed the words of Charles Wesley written in 1747. You will probably know this song:





No comments: